Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

confessions of a (former) fat girl - adventures in shopping

Most of my life I have worn a size 14-16. Maybe not "fat girl" material to some people, but it certainly felt fat to me. Not large enough that I always had to shop in plus sized stores, but large enough that it could be a stretch to find things in normal stores at times. My weight has dropped at certain points, and tottered back up (I have sugar love. It's a bad thing. And a terrible lack of portion control at times), just enough to give me hints of what I like best about my body. At any size, I have a fairly hourglass shape, with is helpful. I have a defined waist, even at my largest, and I have collarbones I love when I get smaller.

As I mentioned yesterday, I've been losing weight and needed to go get interview clothes yesterday to accomodate that. Bunny and I went to a couple of really nice stores first, to try on suits on sale, see if I could find something that was perfect. No dice. If I was going to spend $200 I didn't want to spend another $50 on alterations right now. I needed something a bit more affordable.

I did, though, have a pleasant surprise in the size department. My jeans that fit are a 10, but I didn't necessarily take that to be too much of an indication of anything, so I went into the fitting room with pants in sizes 8, 10 & 12 while fully expecting that I would be wearing the 10s or 12s. I was wrong. I haven't worn a size 8 in eight years, actually, but apparently I do now. I can live with that.

What was even better, though, was getting to try on different styles of clothes and seeing how the fits worked. I tried on several suits that just weren't quite what I wanted or needed, and as I said I'm not paying $200 right now for not quite right. When I have steady income, sure. That's what tailors are for. Right now, no.

In the end, RW&Co ended up making me happy. I got a gorgeous jacket with some interesting flair (I'll post more about it later) and some nice matching black pants. A slim boot cut pant. Pants that are cut very close to the body, that don't do a whole lot to camoflage the size and shape of my thighs.

Two years ago, this would have been a no go. I tried the straight cut and skinny jean look and it was terrible, went nowhere. I do have a pair of straightcut pants from larger sizes to wear tucked into boots, but it hasn't historically been the most flattering. Now? I can wear pants that are cut close to the leg and still look good. In fact, look amazing.

In the change room I had one of those "I don't want to take this off" moments that I dream of. When those moments happen I try to listen, as I don't think I've ever been disappointed in the purchases that result from them. I felt smoking hot. It was amazing.

I'm excited to wear these pants. (And we'll talk jacket later, I promise. I do have a love affair with them, after all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment