Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

obsession: beets

So, until about a year ago, I had never eaten a beet in my life. Which is kind of crazy, when I think about how darned much I love beets now. They have this great sweetness and depth of flavour that I adore, and it makes them the perfect accompaniment to a roast.

Which is all to say that I am very excited to be making beets and beef for dinner tonight, as well as some smushed potatoes and gravy. And for all that making a roast "feels" fancy to me, it's one of the easiest things to make on a weeknight. Seriously, it's dead simple. Chuck stuff in the oven, check the temperature every now and then. Mashed potatoes are the most work of everything I'm making, really.

I'm excited for beets. I'm also excited for grocery shopping tomorrow. I've got some fun things planned out for my week's menu - a mix of old favourites and some new recipes I'm dying to try.

And apparently I'm eating moose this week.

I guess that's what happens when you decide to marry into a family of hunters. People give you moose.

No comments:

Post a Comment