Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

an exploration in layering

Layering. Wearing one piece over another, for fashion or function.

I hate to say that I've never been much of a layering person. In my mind, there has never been a reason to put a camisole or button front under a sweater, and I haven't always understood why I would want to wear a cardigan or a jacket instead of just a warmer shirt. Things are changing in my little brain, though. I'm embracing "completer pieces" as Stacy and Clinton would call them. I see a shirt or blouse and I think about how I would wear that with a blazer.

Slowly but surely, I'm coming around to the world of layering. I'm even starting to see the reasons why I would layer other things. Other things! I'm putting camisoles under wool sweaters, to get the affect of the colour and the lace peaking above the neckline and below the hemline. I may even be daring enough, one day, to attempt the button-front under a sweater combo, though I am terrified it will make me a) sweat like a horse and b) look incredibly bulky.

So, I want to know, what are your favourite ways to layer clothes? What pieces do you find work best (or worst)? 

No comments:

Post a Comment