Pages

Tuesday, May 08, 2012

glazed carrots and parsnips with brown sugar and ginger

This is one of my "set it and forget it" deals. Which, essentially, is what I want out of my side dishes. I don't want to slave over my side dishes. I want to put a little bit of work into getting it started, chuck it in the oven and forget about it until I'm ready to eat.

So when I got it in my mind to do glazed carrots, I wasn't interested in any of the recipes that called for boiling and then pan glazing. I'd be too busy with the other dishes at the end of my cooking process to want to bother with that. I wanted oven-glazed. Easy peasy, yes?

The only question left was what did I want my glaze to be? I like honey, but I'm not crazy about it. I find it's a little too strong, when sometimes all I want is sweet. I didn't have any real maple syrup on hand, so that was out. Molasses sounded interesting, but I had enough other experiments for dinner. That being said I was left with an old standby: brown sugar.

I promise, this is dead simple. If you can peel and chop a carrot (even if you can't - you could use "baby carrots" here in a pinch), use a microwave, and turn on an oven you can make this. This is enough for two people, comfortably. If there are more at your dinner table just double (or triple) the amounts.

Oven Glazed Carrots and Parsnips with Ginger

Ingredients:
  • 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into disks
  • 2 parsnips, peeled and sliced into disks
  • 2 tbsp butter, melted (you can do it in the microwave!)
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 - 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
  • pinch of salt
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400* F.
  2. In a small bowl, mix the butter, brown sugar, ginger and salt.
  3. Put the carrots and parsnips in a baking dish.
  4. Pour the glaze on top of the carrot mixture. With a spoon, mix things up until all the carrots and parsnips are evenly coated.
  5. Place in the oven. Bake for 40-50 minutes, depending on what else you have going on.
  6. Don't panic if you need to leave them in the oven an extra few minutes, or pull them out early. It will be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment