Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

what I'm working lately


It's been awhile since there's been an update on my sewing projects. I've got a couple more things on the go than usual - finishing up my Scrappy Trip (the end is finally in sight), turning some test pieces I'd made with fabric scraps into pillows, and the start of my newest project - the quilt for my niece is underway.

Since I've got all these things on the go, I'm also going to do something I haven't before and link up with the 2013 Finish-A-Long. I've been following this the first half of the year, and figured that since I have a few projects on the go I'd join in this round myself.


First, the Scrappy Trip. I've been working on this since late January-ish, when I started piecing the blocks. Finally a month or so ago I finished up my quilting and just the other week I got the binding cut and pinned on. The binding is half on the front, and I'm just working on stitching it on now. This should be an easy finish in the next month or so.


I don't really want to show too much because I'm so close to being done and can't wait to give you a big reveal. So far I'm adoring this quilt and I can't wait to get it in our living room and eventually have it on our couches. I'm also scheming the specifics of the co-ordinating quilt, which is the next start on my list.



Next up, and this should also be a fairly easy finish, is to make a couple of pillow covers for some blocks I made up as testers for the next quilt. I'd completely gummed up my math on making a square in a square, so I'm glad I did. It took no less than four tries to get the block right. Luckily I had scraps left over from the Scrappy Trip quilt, so I'd done the samples up with those. They already co-ordinate and I'm going to do them up into pillow covers, so they don't go to waste.

Finally - and I think I'm most excited about this - I've started the next quilt on my list. This is for my niece, and has the most delicious fabrics in it. I'm keeping the colour palette very limited, at the moment I'm only using four. Because of that bad math I might end up needing to pick up some more, and if I do that I'll probably throw a twist in with the fabrics. This is the first time I've used proper quilting cottons, and compared to the fabric I was buying before they've been a dream to sew with.

There's lots to do, and it's a stretch that I'd even be finished the quilt top (or all the blocks) by the time the Finish-A-Long deadline comes up, but the bit I've sewn so far I've been loving this sewing. This is only the first bit done - cutting for a few of the blocks and just barely starting on the piecing, but I'm enjoy the process.





she can quilt

Edit: I'm also linking this back to the Season by Hand series. This quilt has been entirely handmade, from piecing to quilting to binding and luckily enough the timing seems to overlap just right.

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing what impact using the proper materials has. I'm hand-quilting right now, and specifically-made hand-quilting thread has been a bit of a life saver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true. The right materials are a world of difference.

      Delete